Monday, April 20, 2015

Guess My Number

Last week, I was in Boston at the NCTM conference and learned lots of great things that I am excited to share. 1 great session was hosted by Math Solutions (Marilyn Burns) company and focused on using the ten frame to play games and build numeracy. This game is really simple, does not require a lot of prep, and has lots of built in differentiation opportunities.


Game 1: Guess My Number with the Ten Frame

Materials Needed: Ten Frame, two colored chips

In this activity, you will give students a series of clues and they will build a guess of your number on their frame. After each clue, students should have the chance to talk through their predictions and why it is a good guess. Really focus on the discussion and why their predictions are changing.

Here is an example string of clues:
1) My number is more than 6
2) My number is less than 9
3) My number is even

You can mix the clues up to review any content that your students are struggling with (doubles facts, multiples, 1 more/ 1 less, so many possibilities!) Make sure your last clue gives them enough information to figure out the number.



No comments:

Post a Comment